Tuesday, May 6, 2008

School of Hard Knocks

"A mind is a terrible thing to waste" is a sentiment shared by anyone with even a shred of political correctness. As a fan I say.."A jump start on building a rapport with your new offensive coordinator is a terrible thing to waste"... Especially if you're Rose Bowl phenom turned rookie of the year turned regressing quarterback Vince Young. Yes, the Titans and their fans enjoyed an improbable playoff run last year. But that was in spite of Young's performance, not because of it. Was it the quad? Was it the Madden Jinx? Ask Jeff Fisher and he'll say it was Norm Chow, whom he abruptly fired after watching his Achilles heel squander a low scoring playoff game.

This we know...Mike Heimerdinger is back. This we don't know...where's Vince Young? Could he be 800 miles away enrolled in school? Of course not! Not after the offense we saw. Not after coming so close...could he? Don't get me wrong, I support the value of an education. I certainly applaud making good on a promise. My cynical side can't help but notice that Young did enter the 2006 NFL draft as a junior. Was the promise not as important then? Maybe it's the Steve Mcnair in me that wanted to see our leader stand front and center and accept responsibility for a season that could have been. To vow to do what ever it takes to get the offense on track and be a world champion. I'm rooting for Vince to obtain his degree...and I'm looking forward to the new season. Just remember, you still have a "school of hard knocks" exam. It's September 9th against the Jags.

No comments: