Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Smith could learn from Cam Newton

Alex Smith...can you please explain to me why you would call out Cam Newton of all people? When asked why the 49ers were 29th in the league in passing, Smith took offense. “I think that is a totally overblown stat because if you’re losing games in the second half, guess what, you’re like the Carolina Panthers and you’re going no-huddle the entire second half. Smith continued..."Yeah, Cam Newton threw for a lot of 300-yard games. That’s great. You’re not winning, though.”

Mr. Smith had to be speaking on emotion, because the stats suggests that Newton is far more advanced at this stage of his career than Smith. Men lie...women lie...numbers don't lie.

Both San Fransisco and Carolina were 2-14 prior to selecting Smith and Newton number one the following draft. Smith lead the 49'ers to a 4-12 record, throwing for one touchdown and 11 interceptions. Newton lead Carolina to a 6-10 record, throwing for 4,051 yards and 35 total touchdowns. Newton broke 9 nfl rookie records on his way to becoming the 2011 rookie of the year. Um...Alex? Not only did Newton's stats obliterate yours, but he won more games as well. Sounds like someone is sipping the red hater-ade.

Newton exhibited a different approach with his recent self evaluation, and it made Alex Smith look even worse. Cam was quoted as saying...."I was very immature. I'll be the first one to tell you, the pouting and the moping, I kind of overdid it. I know that. I was a bad teammate. I shut off to some people who gave unbelievable effort. That's where I have to mature."

Why does this quote make Smith look even worse? With all of Cam's accomplishments, he still held himself accountable to mature and improve. Not once did I hear Smith acknowledge there were areas to improve. And please...don't throw 13-3 around either. Most of Smith's career starts were mired in losing and ineptitude. Ask any 49ers fan if they would trade Smith for Newton...right now. I am sure the answer would not surprise you.   follow @plcolter

No comments: