Sunday, June 15, 2014

From Pauley Boy to P.L. Colter...a father's influence

When I think about my dad, I think about sports. When I think about sports....I think of my dad...and all of the awesome quality time we shared when I was growing up. And sports was front and center.

My dad was a great high school running back, and a great athlete overall. His first two children were boys...me being the second...and you could tell right away that his Dami Boy and Pauley Boy were going to be mini mi's. He loved talking sports...all things sports....all the time. He was so passionate and enthusiastic about it, it couldn't help but rub off. He particularly loved the college and NFL pre game shows....especially the segment where they picked the week's winners. He'd have me and my brother play along, and he would record our standings...just like on tv. But we couldn't just "guess" a team, we had to say why...just like the on air analyst.

Now, my brother and I are competitive about everything. Always have been, are still today, and always will be. What brothers aren't though right? As the younger brother, nothing made my Monday morning better than winning the predictions that week. As the older brother, there was no way he was going to lose to me. To encourage our new found enthusiasm, my dad would bring home the NFL weekly magazine, and that was our study guide. We had to do our own research.

The seeds of P.L. Colter were officially planted.

My brother and I would read those magazines front to back, and back again. We'd keep our notes in a secret place and be ready to rumble come game time. Before long, we had our own little pre game show in the living room every Sunday...and we loved every minute of it.

My dad turned the field next to our house into a home football stadium. We (cousins included) hosted "home games" against kids from other neighborhoods. We had our plays and everything! lol. My parents put a basketball goal up in our back yard. My dad taught me and my brother the game back there. And there was no pavement...it was a dirt yard! Can you imaging how the three of us looked when we came back into the house after kicking up dust for hours?

And we did that every day in the summer time. He never got tired of playing....dirty or not.

Over the years my brother and I continued to talk sports with ole pops, and it was literally the glue that held us together through the various ups and downs of life. Still to this day, when I sit down to write a blog, I can hear pops say...

"So who you got this week Pauley Boy?" lol  Happy Fathers Day Leon Colter

follow @plcolter






No comments: